Communication & Control Units
Communication & Control Units
For Scada-Mate® and Scada-Mate CX™ Switches
Two versions are available: Self-powered (with a temperature-compensated, constant-voltage battery charger) and externally powered (with a high-output, temperature-compensated, constant-voltage battery charger)
S&C Communication and Control Units have been extensively tested to ensure reliable operation in the harshest environments. Two versions are available. Communication and Control Unit—Self-Powered features a temperature-compensated constant-voltage battery charger that’s powered by an S&C Voltage Sensor. Communication and Control Unit—Externally Powered features a high-output, temperature-compensated, constant-voltage battery charger with a unique battery management system that’s powered by a user-supplied 120-Vac source.
The custom-engineered CCU includes the following:
- A user-specified remote terminal unit, factory-installed and wired;
- A user-specified communication device, factory-installed and wired, including surge protector for a user-supplied antenna;
- A temperature-compensated constant-voltage battery charger with rechargeable, sealed-lead, starved-electrolyte battery packs, which provide power for charging and tripping the mechanism plus power for the RTU and communication device.
- The charger features integral load-disconnect circuitry to prevent deep-discharge of the batteries on loss of ac source, plus alarms for loss of ac source, battery low voltage, and charger overvoltage. It also includes circuitry to effect a battery load-test feature, when used in conjunction with a suitable RTU.
- In the self-powered version of the communication and control unit — CCU-SP — the battery charger is powered by the S&C Voltage Sensor. The external 120-Vac powered version of the communication and control unit — CCU-XP — features a higher-output battery charger, with unique battery management system.
- A switch control with open/close push buttons, switch-position indicating lamps, disconnect closed and latched indicating lamp, local/remote switch, and operation counter. All components are neatly packaged in a single 316L stainless-steel enclosure, simplifying installation and minimizing checkout time.
S&C offers a wide variety of communications hardware options and software protocols for our Switch Controls. Note that not all options are not available with all configurations of Switch Controls. Check with your local S&C representative to discuss communications hardware and protocol availability for your specific application. The hardware options include:
- S&C SpeedNet™ Radios
- Landis+Gyr Series 4 Radios
- MDS — Microwave Data Systems
- ProSoft Technology
- Telemetric™ DNP Remote Telemetry Module™
- Fiber optic transceivers
- Hayes™-compatible, CDMA, or GSM modems
- Other communication devices are available.
Radios and modems may be factory-mounted inside most controls to save on installation costs. Protocol options include:
- DNP 3.0
- Landis & Gyr Telegyr 8979
- PG&E SCADA (Cooper 2179)
You can upgrade the protocols in the field using IntelliLink® Setup Software, the Windows®-based program for interfacing with the control locally. This gives you a simple migration path to new protocol implementations.